2018-2019 Catalog

Graduate Enrollment Policies

Residency Requirement

Of the minimum 30 semester units of approved course work required for the master's degree, not less than 21 units must be completed in residence at this institution. A student is considered to be in residence when he or she has been admitted to the university and to the master's program and is registered in regular or special sessions courses at this university. Approved units earned in summer sessions may be substituted for regular semester unit requirements on a unit for unit basis. Extension course work may not be used to fulfill the minimum residence requirement.

Full-Time Status

Graduate students are considered to be full-time students during any semester in which they are enrolled in at least eight units of graduate program courses.

Continuous Attendance Requirement

A student with a graduate degree objective must maintain continuous attendance, defined as attendance in regular or special session each fall and spring semester of the college year. Students who have completed the maximum number of units required for the degree but are completing their culminating activity may enroll in regular university courses or in a specifically designated 600-level course. Students must have program permission to enroll in the 600 level course. If they chose to enroll in regular university courses, students must continue to maintain a grade point average of 3.0 in all courses taken until the degree is granted.

Graduate students who fail to maintain continuous attendance interrupt their residency and must reapply to the university; they are subject to any new requirements of the university or program. Students who break continuous attendance are not guaranteed readmission to the program, and if readmitted, lose their residency credit (courses they may apply to the degree), and their catalog rights. Loss of residency units means there is no guarantee that more than 9 units of previous course work may apply to the degree requirements upon readmission to the program.

Students who break continuous enrollment may petition to the College Dean for reinstatement of residency units. Serious and compelling reasons for breaking enrollment must be demonstrated. If the petition is denied by the Dean, the student may request a hearing from the Graduate Council.

Planned Graduate Student Leave

It is a university requirement that graduate students maintain continuous attendance throughout the course of their study for the master's degree. Any graduate student in good academic standing may request a Planned Graduate Student Leave. Reasons for seeking a leave are likely to be varied, but all applicants should intend to return to formal study within a specified time period.
To apply for a Planned Graduate Student Leaves, the student must be a conditionally classified or classified graduate student with a grade point average of 3.0 or better. Application for the leave must be filed with the appropriate graduate coordinator before the first day of classes for the semester during which the leave is to begin, and should be accompanied by appropriate documentation.
The minimum initial leave will be one full term; the maximum will be one calendar year. Under compelling circumstances, a student may request, in writing and in advance, an extension of the leave. The total number of approved Planned Graduate Student Leaves may not exceed two, and the duration of Planned Graduate Student Leaves may not total more than two calendar years.
The Planned Graduate Student Leave is approved at the discretion of the student's graduate coordinator. The graduate coordinator may require periodic reports from the student.
Students who plan to enroll for credit at another institution of higher education during the leave period must obtain prior approval for the transfer of course credit to the program from the graduate coordinator.
Approval of the leave does not constitute an extension of the time period for completing all course work and other requirements for the master's degree.
Approval of the student's leave application constitutes agreement by the university that the student will be temporarily exempted from the continuous attendance requirement as long as the student meets the conditions specified in the approved leave application. Students who do not return to the university at the conclusion of their planned leave will be considered to have withdrawn from the university at the end of their last semester of regular enrollment at CSU Dominguez Hills.

Applications are available from the Graduate Program Coordinator and the Graduate Studies and Research Office and upon completion are submitted to the Registrar in the Office of Admissions and Records.

Students meeting all conditions of the approved leave shall be required to submit an application for readmission on returning from Planned Graduate Student Leave, but shall not be required to pay another application fee.
A student on Planned Graduate Student Leave shall be expected to devote his/her leave period to off-campus activities. The student shall be classified as "on leave" and shall not be considered a regularly enrolled student. Therefore, the student is not entitled to the campus services normally provided to enrolled students, except that the student may confer with his/her academic advisor and others regarding leave activity and plans for re-enrollment.
A student shall be guaranteed reentry and retention of registration priority if all conditions of the approved leave have been met at the conclusion of his/her Planned Graduate Student Leave. Every effort shall be made to facilitate and simplify the return. For purposes of election of graduation requirements, the approved leave shall not constitute an interruption of attendance provided the student registers in the same major. Students who fail to resume studies at the prearranged time shall forfeit the advantages of the Planned Graduate Student Leave Program.
Each student enrolled in the program will have an entry made
on his/her permanent record indicating that the student is on leave. The dates of the beginning and conclusion of the leave also will be recorded.
Students must obtain prior approval of the graduate program to enroll for credit at another institution of higher education. Any credit earned will be treated as transfer credit to be evaluated and entered in student records in the customary manner.
Any student on planned leave who does not comply with all provisions of this policy and the conditions of the leave is subject to forfeiture of the advantages of this program.

Enrollment in Graduate Courses by Seniors

Students in their senior year may petition to take two courses that are not used to fulfill requirements for the bachelor's degree. Approval must be obtained from the appropriate graduate program coordinator prior to registration in order to receive graduate credit for courses taken in the senior year. Petitions are available in the Office of Admissions and Records and in the Graduate Studies and Research Office.

Time Limit for Completion

All requirements for the master's degree, including all course work on the student's approved program of study must be completed within five years (some programs permit seven years). This time limit commences with the semester of the earliest course used on the student's program of study.

Outdated Course Work

Students are expected to complete all required coursework and the thesis, project or examination for the master's degree within five years (or seven years if permitted by program). Outdated coursework must be repeated or validated. Copies of the Petition for Validation of outdated Course Work may be obtained from the Graduate Studies Office and must be approved by the program coordinator. Students must submit the petition no earlier than the expected term of graduation.

Validated coursework shall not exceed 25% of the units required for the master's degree (e.g. 8 units for a 30 unit program).

Outdated transfer course work from other colleges or universities is not eligible for validation.

Coursework that exceeds seven years by no more than one academic year may be eligible for validation at the discretion of the the Dean of Graduate Studies; beyond that time limit, coursework cannot be validated.